Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Where do nice people live?

When we travel, we tend to meet people that are welcoming, generous, and helpful. I found all of these attributes throughout the past week.

Veggies, old world spirits, and southern hospitality in North Carolina's triangle.
Abundant herb, loud music, and slices of pizza in post-move Philadelphia.

You hear it all the time: Everyone was so nice. They all seem so glad you're there.

Then you go home, where no one cares. Sure, my parents were glad to see me, but the majority of Greensburg's population is indifferent.

And that's because I live here. I'm no visitor, no special guest, no sight for sore eyes. If anything, I'm the annoyingly androgynous youth on a bicycle, riding in the middle of a lane; or the hippie at the bank.

Of course, I'm not particularly thrilled to see most of the people in Greensburg either. The bike shops are barren and uncomfortable; the bars host too many former high school classmates; and the grocery stores have a weak selection of cheese.

Drinks enjoyed whole-heartedly with sour puss Joe McFadden in Pittsboro, NC.

I remember telling myself, before I left Philly, that I would appreciate the calmer environment here in southwestern PA, where it's quiet, laid-back, and more scenic.

The city seemed so anonymous//heartless//mean.

This is also a stereotype of the east coast; or rather, more specifically, the tri-state area including Philly, NYC, and New Jersey. Compared to the west coast, we're more cynical, less polite, and generally ugly.

So I left. And not to San Fran or LA, but to the once-thriving-but-now-sort-of-sleeping town called Greensburg. It's easy to say that people are nicer here, mostly because I don't really have to see anybody. Living without a job or a large social network enables me, at times, to see more dogs than humans.

But really, they're all the same. And when I go to other cities -- on either coast -- I meet more lonely, apathetic souls. Does that mean they're not nice? I guess not. It does mean that they're less likely to smile at a stranger, or engage in conversation. As am I.

Philly, as awful and unhealthy as it is, has a soft spot in my heart. Now, when I hear some goof laugh and gurgle about how much they love their professor, or talk animatedly about a poetry reading, I think about how much I miss my Philly. Conflict, man -- it makes me want to slap that goof across the face just to see what happens.

So where do the nice people live? And is it worth it to find them? You tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment