Thursday, November 17, 2011

Adverse advances

Recently, I made a second wave of major technological purchases.

The first consisted of 1990's essentials: a laptop and a camera (both previously owned).



This last wave finally brought me into the 21st century -- at the very least to 2009: an iPod touch and a Kindle.

I bought all of these products with the intention of benefitting fully from them throughout my travels. They'll help me better communicate with friends and family, as well as condense the media I carry with me (books, music, movies, games, etc).

The extent to which these things make others obsolete, however, has left me with some interesting thoughts. And not just me, but the rest of the modern world. We're literally killing certain mediums in favor of their digital alternatives.

The Kindle caused me the most soul-searching. When I first heard of the "e-reader" I considered it incredibly excessive. Books aren't bulky, especially because I don't intend on lugging 3,000 of them around with me. Plus, I told myself, I really love the feel of a book.

I like flipping through the chapters, gripping the spine, dog-earring the corners, and smelling the pages. Why would I want to give up a true experience like reading a book? And for a product that alone costs nearly a hundred bucks?

Then I did. Rather, I didn't give up the experience, but I did buy the Kindle for a hundred bucks. Plus accessories. Now I can carry 3,000 books with me (although it will probably be closer to 30) and not weigh down my suitcase.

Moving on, researching these products really brought to light the issue I mentioned earlier: these things are designed to make other things unnecessary.

Music, for example, has gone through a few stages of consumption. Vinyl records were replaced by tapes and CDs, which were then obliterated by mp3 files. 

E-readers like the Kindle or the Nook are marketed as eco-friendly tools, saving paper and consumers' money, while they also make books, magazines, and newspapers seem less convenient. (Hell, the Internet has been devastating paper media for decades.)

I have access to probably thousands of pictures documenting my life -- more than my parents or grandparents could dream of -- and yet so few of them are on my wall, or in my wallet.

It seems like my life is really going to change -- and not because of my travels but because of incredibly transformational technology. The way we access and distribute information and media is so vastly different from 10 years ago, let alone 100 years ago. 

And yet, some changes are making me think we're moving backward. I was listening to the radio today (yes, the radio) and they were discussing, well, the radio.

One topic: With satellite radio systems, Pandora or Spotify, and mp3 players, what is the fate of local radio stations?

One panelist offered: The radio is a great place to showcase local bands.

I stopped. The radio...a venue for showcasing local bands?! A novel idea. Straight outta 2011.

Have we really gone full circle?

When I was comparing e-readers on the Internet, I read certain users' speculations on the fate of the physical book: Books will become collectable vintage luxury items, as vinyl records have. They'll increase in value

And to think, books were luxury items a century ago. To have a library was to be wealthy, educated, and cultured. 

Vinyl records have become huge obsessions for many young people. My dad was infinitely confused as to why contemporary bands would want to release their music on vinyl. Ask any vinyl wiener about their collection and they'll probably tell you all about the superior sound.


Even when I look at towns -- like my own Greensburg, PA -- I feel like we've gone backward. Downtown used to be bustling with department stores, specialized shops, and shoppers. And now, that scene has moved approximately 3 miles down the highway, where you have to drive to get there. It's not called downtown, however; it's called a shopping plaza.

It's as if when suburbs started developing, the developers thought: Hey, wouldn't it be great to have sort of a central hub where people can go to run errands, grab a bite, or socialize? 

No kidding! Main Street USA, man! You can even grow vegetables in your own goddamn backyard! Did you know that?

Do we do go backward because we feel sentimental about older systems, older technologies? Do we do this because the past is truly superior? 

I can't tell whether my 50th birthday will be celebrated on a farm, or in fuckin' outer space. Will I be driving a hovercraft or still riding a bike? 

Most likely, following the current pattern, I'll be riding a bike on board a hovercraft.

1 comment:

  1. the thing i think about the most is in an age of supposed expanding access (theoretically) we're actually getting less access- publishers can tell you what you can do with that e-book, when it could expire, etc. they could never do that before(aside from gross copyright infringement like photocopying the book and selling it..). lending a book to a friend is hardly a possibility in the same way today. and then telling libraries they can use a digital copy (loan it) a certain number of times before they have to buy a new one?? but the ability to carry thousands of books on a vacation, for a person who spontaneously chooses what to read, is amazing.

    at least vinyl is the most stable of all sound recording mediums...

    this was great to read, it confirmed people other than librarians are actually thinking about these things...

    ReplyDelete